VCHRI adheres to provincial and national regulations for workplace health and safety. VCHRI employees should review these regulations to ensure compliance:
- WorkSafe BC - Occupational Health & Safety Regulations and Related Materials
- Health Canada - Environmental and Workplace Health Guidelines
- Government of British Columbia - Occupational Health and Safety Requirements
- Occupational Health and Safety Agency for Healthcare in British Columbia - Database
- Transport Canada - Transporting Dangerous Goods
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
Mandatory Training Courses and Research Safety
New Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) employees are required to participate in the orientation which includes the completion of mandatory education courses, such as health and safety, violence prevention and information privacy and confidentiality.
New University of British Columbia (UBC) employees are required to complete mandatory training, which includes courses on workplace health and safety, privacy fundamentals and job specific requirements, such as working in a lab.
Until the appropriate orientation and training courses are completed, all employees must work under the supervision of a staff member who possesses the required training.
UBC Safety and Risk Services offers training courses to UBC faculty, staff and students, as well as non-UBC employees. Other courses available include: safety supervision courses, asbestos awareness, ergonomic assessment, respirator training and emergency management.